Posted by Moutain Rose Herbs-posted with permission on 1/27/2021 to Aromatherapy
Makes approximately 8 oz
8 oz. organic carrier oil (medium absorption oils like olive oil, almond oil, coconut or babassu oil are good choices)
3/4-1 oz. beeswax pastilles or grated beeswax
1/2-1 tsp. organic menthol crystals
20 drops organic eucalyptus essential oil
10 drops organic rosemary essential oil
- Measure carrier oil into the top of a double boiler.
- Depending on the texture you are aiming for, measure out beeswax. I use 1 oz. of beeswax pastilles because I find a slightly more solid balm-texture to be easiest to use. If you’d like more of an ointment texture, you’ll want closer to 3/4 oz.
- Heat oil and beeswax in double boiler until the beeswax melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in menthol crystals and essential oils until dissolved. I prefer a stronger formula, so I use the full 1 tsp. of crystals. For a gentler formula, use half.
- Promptly pour into jars or tins.
- Allow to cool completely before putting lids on fully.
- Always work in a well-ventilated area when using menthol crystals or wear a mask if you find inhaling the aroma irritating.
- Do not heat or microwave balm before use.
- Menthol eucalyptus rub is for external use only—do not put in eyes, mouth, nostrils, under bandages, or on damaged skin.
- We always recommend applying a small patch test on your skin before using any product you have not used before.
- Consult with your child’s doctor before using a menthol or chest rub on children.
- Store essential oils and menthol crystals safely away from children and animals.
How to use Menthol Eucalyptus Rub
- Rub a layer of balm on chest and throat.
- Cover with a warm, dry cloth if you’d like. As well as being comforting, it protects clothing and sheets.
- Wear something loose, to allow the vapors to reach your nose.
- Relax and breathe.